Sunday, August 23, 2020

GOSPEL DISCUSSION ON BYU-TV

 I've been studying the Book of Mormon and am reading/listening to 3 Nephi, just in the beginning. Today, Sunday, I watched Gospel Discussions on the Book of Mormon and got ahead of my reading. It gave me so much understanding.

One thing the professors spoke about was how Lehi, 3 Nephi's brother, was stoned, and also raised from the dead. This occurred just about the time that Lazarus was raised from the dead--in similitude with what was going on in Jerusalem at the same time. I never caught that before.

I'm judging a writing contest and someone is writing a book on the signs of Christ, like the similitudes, etc., and this made me think of all the ones I don't know about.

I had never heard of the concept before I became a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I was a diligent Catholic for a long while, even attended Catholic school, and I never heard of this until I attended a lecture by Gerald Lund at a CES conference way back in the 1990s at BYU. It fascinated me.

I am thankful for my membership in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I'm grateful for those two missionaries, Elder Poulsen and Elder Ellis, who knocked on my door in late 1980. I'm grateful for my Savior and my Heavenly Father for leading them to me, and for me to have enough curiosity with the first lesson to want to learn more.

No comments:

1 Nephi 1: 1, 3

...therefore I make a record of my proceedings in my days.
And I know that the record which I make is true; and I make it with mine own hand; and I make it according to my knowledge.