Wednesday, October 10, 2012

General Conference 10/6 and 10/7/12

Feed my sheep; feed my lambs
I can't believe another General Conference has come and gone and I have not written one spiritual thought since the last one.
This past conference, last weekend, was as uplifting as ever.
One thing that stood out to me was that the story of Peter, the fisherman, was given twice. I know the men have no idea what the others are writing about, so what are the odds that two men would dwell on the same passage in scripture?
Nevertheless, I was enlightened--twice. Peter and the other apostles went back to their former lives after Jesus was crucified and resurrected. Did they think that the last three years of their lives was all there was?
Jesus, calling them "children," told them to cast their nets over the other side and they would be filled. Were they children? I guess so. They needed the constant reminder to "do what I say." They needed to be reminded that they had a great work to do.
"And when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren. . . " Did the Lord think Peter still wasn't converted? Well, he did deny him three times.
Peter was told to uplift and teach the others, as well as all the sheep--the followers of Christ--and the lambs; those that are young or new in the gospel.
This story is a reminder to me that, once converted, we should not go back to our life before we had the Savior in it. We need to move forward.
Peter didn't realize his life had been changed forever. Did he really not see that?
Do you? Do I?

No comments:

1 Nephi 1: 1, 3

...therefore I make a record of my proceedings in my days.
And I know that the record which I make is true; and I make it with mine own hand; and I make it according to my knowledge.