Thursday, June 19, 2008

Joseph Smith: Lover of the Cause of Christ



Ken and I participated in the Philadelphia Stake Play, "Joseph Smith: Lover of the Cause of Christ." Rehearsals began in April and the play was held May 30, 31 in 3 shows. It was written by Angela Staheli. She was a member of the Austin Texas Stake. Kim Davenport Wehrung lives there now. Linda and Ted visited her while she was in rehearsals. Linda brought the idea home to the Phila. Stake. Chris and Kim Hopkins directed it. It sure was a lot of work.


It was a very spiritual time for all of us involved.

It reminded me of being in the Hill Cumorah Pageant, but on a smaller level. It was very Zion-esque. We all felt protected and very loved -- very much of one heart and mind.


Ken was involved in making all the sets. He was even putting finishing touches on the sets at the dress rehearsal.














I was involved in doing the Playbill (of course). I love being a part of a play/musical in that way. I get to know all the details and peoples' names. And it pretty much took me all weekend of the play to print it out. The poor Jarrettown ward library copier.... it was huffing and puffing when I was done with it.













Prison scene.

Ken getting his makeup applied.

He grew his beard and his hair. Nobody was allowed to get a hair cut until the play was done. Ken shaved his beard and cut his hair the day after the play was over.....










me, at right, with Ken and Bishop Ted Davenport


Ken and I were in a scene together. We were Elijah and Anna Fordham. Elijah Fordham was the man Joseph Smith healed and practically raised him from the dead. I was crying over his body, mainly. I think it went over pretty well, but I never got to see it. And nobody took any pictures of it. There was a DVD recorded, but it won't come out until Christmas probably. Can't wait to see that!

To give a taste of the flavor of the play, Chris Hopkins, the director, made a YouTube video of some stills of the play and it has great music and sound effects (see below).
You might have to have been there to appreciate it, but I hope you will try...


I have a testimony that Joseph Smith, Jr. was the prophet set apart before the foundation of the world to bring in our present dispensation. He translated the plates given to him by the Prophet/Angel Moroni.
By the time I finished reading in Mosiah in the Book of Mormon, I already had a testimony that the Book of Mormon could not have been written by Joseph Smith. It was of God; written through revelation.
I am so grateful Joseph Smith had the courage and faith to uphold and endure his calling in life.
I am grateful the missionaries knocked on my door, sent especially to me because I had a desire to know which church to join – just as Joseph Smith did! I have learned when you have a desire to know about the true gospel of Jesus Christ on the earth today, it cannot be kept from you.
This play has strengthened my testimony in so many ways. I am so glad I had the opportunity to participate in it.

No comments:

1 Nephi 1: 1, 3

...therefore I make a record of my proceedings in my days.
And I know that the record which I make is true; and I make it with mine own hand; and I make it according to my knowledge.